Text size-AA+

Sporting sign off with Videoton success

Friday 7 December 2012 23.50 CET
Valentin Viola enjoys his effort against Videoton

Sporting Clube de Portugal avenged their 3-0 loss to Videoton FC on matchday two with a 2-1 victory as the two eliminated sides in Group G were finally able to convene in Lisbon.

After heavy rainfall caused this fixture to be postponed on Thursday, Videoton carved out the better chances in a subdued first half. Sporting rallied after the break, though, and they went ahead through Zakaria Labyad on 65 minutes, reclaiming the lead via Valentin Viola after György Sándor – who was later sent off – had briefly levelled from the spot.

Sporting were the quicker side to settle yet it was not long before they began to look vulnerable to balls lofted over the top. Khalid Boulahrouz failed to clear one such probing pass further than Nemanja Nikolić, and the Videoton No17 picked out Filipe Oliveira to test Marcelo with a low drive.

The goalkeeper proved equal to it and he also denied Nikolić moments later, the dangerous Serbian forward having beaten the offside trap only to shoot too close to Marcelo's body. The custodian was nonetheless helpless shortly afterwards when Renato Neto curled thrillingly against the crossbar from outside the area.

A scuffed Emiliano Insúa was all Sporting had to show for their first-half efforts, but they started the second period brighter, with Viola somehow failing to convert an excellent Insúa cross. The hosts then broke the deadlock when Labyad buried high into the net after Tomáš Tujvel had spilled a swerving Insúa free-kick.

Despite having faded as an attacking force, Videoton levelled with ten minutes remaining when Sándor sent Marcelo the wrong way following a foul by Fabián Rinaudo. The Lions hit back almost instantly, however, Viola bundling in after Insúa had headed a Diego Capel free-kick back across goal. Vidi's hopes of equalising again were then extinguished when Sándor was dismissed for bringing down Capel. Marco Caneira was also shown a red card after the final whistle.

© 1998-2014 UEFA. All rights reserved.