While 13 of the places in the UEFA Champions League round of 16 are filled, including all four Spanish entrants, the remaining three remain up for grabs with holders Chelsea FC among the six teams in contention in the final group games on 4 and 5 December.
First place in four groups, with seeding in the round of 16 draw, will also be decided then as will the identities of five of the eight teams that will transfer to the UEFA Europa League round of 32 by finishing third. UEFA.com talks you through the permutations.
The round of 16 draw will be held in Nyon at 11.30CET on Thursday 20 December. The group winners will be drawn against the group runners-up, though no team can play a club they met in the group stage or from their own association. The away teams will be at home in the first legs on 12/13/19/20 February and away in the second legs on 5/6/12/13 March.
The permutations below are for information only; the official calculations will be made by UEFA after the games finish according to article 7.06 of the Regulations of the UEFA Champions League.
Qualified for the last 16: FC Porto, Paris Saint-Germain FC, FC Schalke 04, Arsenal FC, Málaga CF*, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund*, Real Madrid CF, FC Shakhtar Dontesk, FC Bayern München, Valencia CF, FC Barcelona*, Manchester United FC*
Can still qualify: Juventus or Chelsea FC; SL Benfica or Celtic FC; Galatasaray AŞ or CFR 1907 Cluj (in each case the unsuccessful club will transfer to the UEFA Europa League)
Confirmed in the UEFA Europa League: FC Dynamo Kyiv, Olympiacos FC, FC BATE Borisov
Can qualify for UEFA Europa League: FC Zenit St Petersburg or RSC Anderlecht; AFC Ajax or Manchester City FC (in each case the unsuccessful club will be eliminated from Europe)
Eliminated from Europe: GNK Dinamo Zagreb, Montpellier Hérault SC, FC Nordsjælland, FC Spartak Moskva, LOSC Lille, SC Braga
Tuesday 4 December
Paris Saint-Germain FC (12pts) v FC Porto (13), GNK Dinamo Zagreb (0) v FC Dynamo Kyiv (4)
• Porto have qualified with the highest points tally of any team after five games and will clinch first place with a win or a draw in Paris.
• PSG are also through but must beat Porto to finish top.
• Dynamo will transfer to the UEFA Europa League.
• Dinamo are out of Europe.
Olympiacos FC (6pts) v Arsenal FC (10), Montpellier Hérault SC (1) v FC Schalke 04 (11)
• Schalke are through and will win the group if they get three points in France or if Arsenal are denied victory in Greece due to their head-to-head superiority over the English club.
• Arsenal have progressed from their group for the 13th year running but to end in first place must win at Olympiacos and hope Schalke do not beat Montpellier.
• Olympiacos will transfer to the UEFA Europa League.
• Montpellier are out of Europe.
Málaga CF (11pts) v RSC Anderlecht (4), AC Milan (8) v FC Zenit St Petersburg (4)
• Málaga have qualified as group winners due to their head-to-head superiority over Milan.
• Milan are through as runners-up.
• Zenit lie third on goal difference as they are level on head-to-head with Anderlecht, with whom they are competing for a UEFA Europa League berth. If the two matches in the group end with a draw, Zenit will qualify for the UEFA Europa League due to the superior goal difference from all group matches played.
• Anderlecht will reach the UEFA Europa League if they pick up more points than Zenit or overturn their goal difference deficit (see Article 7.06 of the Regulations)
Borussia Dortmund (11pts) v Manchester City FC (3), Real Madrid CF (8) v AFC Ajax (4)
• Dortmund have qualified as group winners due to their head-to-head superiority over Madrid.
• Madrid are through as runners-up, the 16th year in a row they have made it out of their group.
• Ajax will qualify for the UEFA Europa League, of which they host the final, if they win in Madrid or if Manchester City fail to gain victory at Dortmund due to the Dutch side's head-to-head superiority over the English club.
• Manchester City will qualify for the UEFA Europa League if they win in Dortmund and Ajax fail to gain victory.
Wednesday 5 December
FC Shakhtar Donetsk (10pts) v Juventus (9), Chelsea FC (7) v FC Nordsjælland (1)
• Shakhtar are through and will clinch first place with a win or draw.
• Juventus will finish first with a win against Shakhtar, and will be through with a draw or if Chelsea fail to win against Nordsjælland.
• Chelsea need to win and hope Juventus lose as their head-to-head record is inferior to both teams above them.
• Nordsjælland are out of Europe.
FC Bayern München (10pts) v FC BATE Borisov (6), LOSC Lille (3) v Valencia CF (10)
• Bayern are through and top on head-to-head record ahead of Valencia. Bayern will win the group if they beat BATE or secure as many points as Valencia.
• Valencia are through but must pick up more points than Bayern to finish first.
• BATE will finish third and enter the UEFA Europa League as their head-to-head record is superior to LOSC's.
• LOSC are out of Europe.
FC Barcelona (12pts) v SL Benfica (7), Celtic FC (7) v FC Spartak Moskva (3)
• Barcelona are through as group winners
• Benfica have head-to-head superiority over Celtic so will be through with a win, or as long as they pick up as many points as the Scottish champions.
• Celtic must pick up more points than Benfica to overtake them
• Spartak are out of Europe.
Manchester United FC (12pts) v CFR 1907 Cluj (7), SC Braga (3) v Galatasaray AŞ (7)
• Manchester United are through as group winners.
• Galatasaray are second ahead of CFR on head-to-head record. They will qualify with a win in Portugal or as long as they pick up as many points as CFR.
• CFR must secure more points than Galatasaray to qualify for the UEFA Champions League round of 16.
• Braga are out of Europe.
© 1998-2014 UEFA. All rights reserved.